Murphy Battista LLP offices will be closed on Monday, October 2, 2023, to observe the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
We acknowledge the importance of understanding the history and ongoing trauma caused by residential schools. We are closing on October 2nd to take time to honour the children who never made it home, the families and communities grieving their loss, and the survivors of residential schools who are all working toward healing.
We are grateful to the many people who bravely told their stories to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We also re-commit to supporting the necessary ongoing work of reconciliation by continuing to learn the history, seeking to understand the impact of residential schools, and participating in ongoing reconciliation efforts.
Orange Shirt Day
As many British Columbians know, September 30th is also referred to as Orange Shirt Day. This year the Orange Shirt Society has unveiled a new design to honour the children who lost their lives at residential schools. You can see the new design here and you can get your own orange shirt by going to the Orange Shirt Society’s website. Proceeds and donations help raise awareness across Canada about Indian Residential Schools and their continuing impacts on individuals, families, and communities, and promote the concept of “Every Child Matters.”
- Facebook: @orangeshirtsociety
- Youtube: Orange Shirt Society
- Instagram: @orangeshirtsociety
- LinkedIn: @orangeshirtsociety
The Orange Shirt Society’s Facebook page lists some of the things you can do to observe the day:
- Find local events in your area: check local events listings, reach out to Indigenous organizations, or organize your own event.
- Attend online events: join a webinar, workshop, class, or panel discussion to learn more about Indigenous history and issues.
- Organize an event: plan a community gathering in your area, or get together with a small group of friends and family.
- Wear orange: help create awareness by wearing an orange shirt, orange shirt pin (or other orange item) at work, school, out in public, and at home.
- Talk about it: start respectful conversations with peers about Indigenous issues in person and online.
- Donate: support organizations that are helping improve the futures of Indigenous Peoples.
- Donate to Orange Shirt Society at https://orangeshirtday.org/support/.