Massie v Provincial Health Services Authority
Unlicensed and Unqualified Nurse (Brigitte Cleroux)
What is this claim about?
Murphy Battista LLP is co-counsel with Slater Vecchio LLP on a class action against Provincial Health Services Authority (“PHSA”) concerning an unlicensed and unqualified nurse, Brigitte Cleroux (“Cleroux”), who worked at B.C. Women’s Hospital and Health Centre (“BCWH”) from June 2020 to June 2021 and who provided unlawful and illegal nursing services to patients during this period.
This action was recently certified on the issue of willful violation of privacy, but the Court held that any actions for damages arising from negligence, battery, or physical and/or psychological injury must be pursued individually by affected persons.
There is a two-year time limit to file these claims from the date the person became aware that they could make a claim. This will vary for each person. For most people, it will be the day they received the letter from PHSA advising that Cleroux was involved in their care. Most of these letters were sent in November of 2021. Anyone wishing to file an individual claim, should retain counsel and do so prior to November 1, 2023.
Who does the class action affect?
You are a class member in this proposed class action if you are a resident of Canada and a patient at BCWH and received treatments directly or indirectly from Cleroux from June 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021.
- The class action was certified on July 25, 2023.
Reasons for Judgment on Certification Application here: Massie v. Provincial Health Services Authority, 2023 BCSC 1275.
- The Notice of Civil Claim, initiating this proposed class action, was filed in the Supreme Court of British Columbia on December 16, 2021.
- Short Form Notice
- Long Form Notice
Please continue to check back here for updates.
Who are the lawyers?
What should I do if I have been impacted?
Please contact us by submitting the form below. A member of the legal team handling this action will contact you and you will be added to our database and kept apprised of developments.
If you have questions or would like to be included in our database of class members, you can email [email protected] or call Murphy Battista’s Vancouver office at (604) 683-9621 or Toll Free at 1-844-633-3817, and ask to speak to a member of the legal team handling the Provincial Health Services Authority (Cleroux) Class Action. Reception will transfer your call to someone who can help you.
- Update: Fake nurse facing new assault charges in Vancouver
- Maclean’s magazine covers the Brigitte Cleroux nurse imposter story and class action
- Class-action lawsuit filed over B.C. nurse impersonation allegations
- Fake nurse allegations prompt class action lawsuit in B.C.
- Surgical patient treated by alleged fake nurse launching legal action
- Global BC on Twitter
- Fake nurse at centre of proposed class-action lawsuit against B.C. health authority
- False Nurses Allegations Lead to Class Action Lawsuit in BC
- Class action lawsuit filed in B.C. over alleged fake nurse amid confirmation she also worked in Victoria
- Fake nurse also worked at private surgery clinic in Victoria
- Fake nurse with long history of impersonation worked at Vancouver hospital for a year, police say
- Patients of fake nurse ask why they weren’t connected with Vancouver police
- No further answers from B.C. health minister on how fake nurse slipped through the cracks
- Patient remembers ‘so much pain’ during surgery assisted by fake nurse at Vancouver hospital
- Patients want more answers about fake nurse’s year working at Vancouver hospital
- Patients shocked after learning they’d been treated by fake nurse
- The National | Omicron uncertainty, Fake nurse charged, Return to Merritt, B.C.
Update on Fake Nurse at BC Women’s Hospital
March 1, 2022
Over the past few months, we have spoken with hundreds of women who were patients at B.C. Women’s Hospital and Health Centre (BC Women’s) during the period June 1st, 2020 to June 30th, 2021 when an unlicensed and unqualified nurse impersonator, Brigitte Cleroux (“Cleroux”) improperly became involved in patient care.…Continue Reading
In the News
CTV talks to John Cameron about certification of class action against the Provincial Health Services Authority over employment of fake nurse in BC
July 27, 2023
On July 27, 2023, CTV interviewed John Cameron about the class action lawsuit certified against the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) on behalf of approximately 1,150 patients who had interactions with an unlicensed nurse during her employment at B.C. Women’s Hospital (BCWH) for more than a year. This legal action…Continue Reading
Class action certified against Provincial Health Services Authority for unlicensed nurse’s alleged involvement in patient care at BC Women’s Hospital
July 26, 2023
Murphy Battista LLP and Slater Vecchio LLP jointly announce the successful certification of a class action against the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) on behalf of patients who received procedures at BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre (BCWH) during 2020 and 2021. On July 25, 2023, the Supreme Court of…Continue Reading
CBC’s “The Current” airs documentary about fake nurse Brigitte Cleroux
September 26, 2022
Fake nurse Brigitte Cleroux appeared in a Vancouver court on Sept 22nd to answer assault charges. At the same time, the CBC’s Matt Galloway of The Current aired Bethany Lindsay’s documentary on Cleroux’s history of impersonating professionals. Read the full story: This serial imposter spent decades posing as a nurse.…Continue Reading
Update: Fake nurse facing new assault charges in Vancouver
September 9, 2022
CTV News has posted an update on fake nurse Bridget Cleroux stating that, “Several counts of assault and assault with a weapon have been approved against Brigitte Cleroux, all stemming from alleged incidents in Vancouver between July 2020 and May 2021. During that time, authorities said Cleroux was working at…Continue Reading
Maclean’s magazine covers the Brigitte Cleroux nurse imposter story and class action
April 11, 2022
The May 2022 issue of Maclean’s features an investigative piece by journalist Sarah Treleaven on Brigitte Cleroux, the woman who used fake nursing credentials to gain employment at BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre from June 2020 to June 2021. Read the story “The nurse imposter. Brigitte Cleroux faked her…Continue Reading