Dependable Advice On First-Party Loss Claims
Although first-party and third-party insurance claims often present similar evidentiary problems in terms of documenting the details of the loss and related injuries, the legal issues and procedures are very different. Murphy Battista LLP is one of the few law firms in BC with an established reputation for success in both kinds of actions.
We act for individuals, families and businesses across the spectrum of first-party insurance disputes and casualty loss claims including:
- Fire losses in residential or commercial property
- Property damage related to roof collapse or other structural failure
- Flood losses
- Weather-related property damage from hail, wind, snow ice and storms
- Losses resulting from burglary, robbery or theft
- Problems obtaining benefits under a life insurance or disability insurance policy
Why Insurance Disputes Arise
Insurance disputes generally arise over one of two things:
- Whether your insurance covers the loss you are claiming for, or
- Whether you can prove both that you have suffered a loss and the value of that loss.
The first issue is sometimes called a coverage dispute while the second type of dispute involves gathering and presenting the evidence necessary to prove your loss.
Murphy Battista LLP handles a wide variety of residential and commercial property insurance and disability insurance disputes. We only act for policyholders and many of our lawyers have past career experience working for insurance companies. We know how adjusters and their supervisors treat claims and what kinds of evidence and arguments are needed to help prove your claim.
Is your insurance dispute related to a personal injury claim?
See our information on:
Facing a property insurance dispute (either residential or commercial)?
Getting advice and assistance with your claim before you start dealing with insurance adjusters is often the key to a smooth resolution of your claim.
The information on the following pages of our website may help clarify your situation.
Questions about an insurance dispute?
If you have questions, we invite you contact us free consultation about your most effective options for resolving a dispute with your insurer.