March 4, 2019


Kristina Shelden, Resource Coordinator, PIRC

Tax season has a way of sneaking up on you. While most people find doing their taxes about as enjoyable as a root canal, in and among all that paperwork, there may be some extra dollar bills that you can claim.

Two options available to those with a disability are the Disability Tax Credit, which can give you an income tax write-off of up to $8,000 depending on the year (this amount does change year to year) and the Fuel Tax Refund which will reimburse up to $500 a year on the money you spend on fuel in BC for a vehicle you own or lease.

Here at the Personal Injury Resource Centre, we’re happy to help you with the grunt work involved in doing your taxes, so that you can spend your time on more important things like physical therapy and other rehabilitation. We can help you print out forms, and even add up the pile of receipts you’ll have saved for the Fuel Tax Refund.

Disability Tax Credit

If you don’t already have this information or don’t know what it is, we can help with that as well.

The disability tax credit (DTC) is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay.

You are eligible for the DTC only if we approve Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate:. A medical practitioner has to fill out and certify that you have a severe and prolonged impairment and must describe its effects.”

You can find more detailed information about the Disability Tax Credit here.

On this site, you’ll be able to confirm if you are eligible, print out the forms that need to be filled out, and follow step-by-step instructions about the program. We are happy to print these forms out and help you fill them out here at the centre as well! We won’t be able to complete the forms in their entirety, as your doctor will need to provide some information, but we’ll get the ball rolling for you.

Fuel Tax Refund

The BC Government describes the fuel tax refund for persons with disabilities as follows:

When you purchase fuel in B.C., you pay fuel tax. If you have a qualifying disability, the fuel tax refund program allows you to request a refund of the provincial motor fuel tax you paid in BC on fuel you used in a vehicle you own or lease.

If you qualify, you’re eligible for a fuel tax refund of up to $500 each calendar year.

Did you know you can also backdate and receive a refund for up to four years prior? If you have those gas receipts, let’s add them up!

To apply for the Fuel Tax Refund, you will need to supply:

Once you register for the fuel tax refund program for persons with disabilities and receive your confirmation letter, you can apply for a refund. You’re eligible to get up to $500 back each calendar year for the provincial motor fuel tax you paid when fuelling your vehicle in BC. The refund amount cannot be transferred to the next calendar year.”

For detailed information and to download the forms for yourself you can visit the Fuel Tax Refund for Persons with Disabilities website here:  If you prefer, you can also submit online by signing up for their website.

Tips for Filling out the Required Forms

My recommendation, when filling out these forms, is to report all your symptoms as they are on your worst day. In my experience, this is the best way to ensure you get the help you actually need. By claiming your best day symptoms, or even your symptoms on an average day, you’re undermining your needs and in the eyes of the government, claiming yourself perfectly capable and therefore not in need of this help.

But the truth is, our worst days are the reason we need this help. If you’re like me, you don’t like to admit how bad it can get (I have a C4/C5 incomplete SCI). I want to be considered strong and capable and perfectly independent. And I can be! But there are also many days when I desperately need help. And so I’ve found that asking for help based on my worst days ensures that I will actually have help on those bad days. It’s been a game changer for me and helped increase my quality of life incredibly.

So! Would you like some help yourself? We can print forms, and I’m happy to add up all the receipts you’ll have collected over the year(s), and complete these forms with you. Email us at or call us at 604-558-1954 to set up an appointment!


Client Resources

Get Your Life Back

Contact us for a free consultation

  • Disclaimer: The use of the internet or this Form for communication with the firm or its lawyers and staff is not secure and does not establish a lawyer-client relationship. Do not send confidential or time-sensitive information through this Form. If you need to send this type of information please call us first.
Or call us at: 1-888-683-9621